Woven by Grace: In this Season: The pursuit of identity
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Friday, December 2, 2016

In this Season: The pursuit of identity

"Don't forget who you are and who's you are..."

Recently hearing that has made me think more and more about identity. I've always had a deep call and love for young women and reminding them of their value and true self. That's been apart of my fiber even when I didn't know much of who I was or felt like I belonged anywhere or to anyone...even God. Never finding solace in cutting or drinking or being the "best" Christian possible allowed me to answer and know who and who's I am. Seems cliche, but there is so much truth in what I just wrote. So much honesty in seeking in others what can only be found in one place. 

I had an incredible conversation with a young lady recently that caused me to share this antidote with a deeper understanding. Because whether we acknowledge it or not, we are constantly trying to answer, remind, connect, and find security in who and who's we are. Especially as women. Experiencing this all of our lives. Sometimes we call it wearing many hats or labels or providing some eloquent list of complexities that describe what you think you are...not so much who.

 See, who gets mixed up with what too often. As women we claim our what we do as who we are and find ourselves buried under labels of deeds and works that can't quite quench that insatiable appetite of busyness, work, competition with others...desire of perfection. It's messy and exhausting! What is the hamster wheel, going full speed with no end in sight. It's easy to say what I am, because we're condition to associate those deeds with who we are.

But it's not even comparable if we stopped and put the laundry list of deeds down. Because WHO you are can only be defined by WHO's you are. And truth is the only one who knows who you are, is the one who intricately made you. With the intent and desire for you to see that who you are is what opens the doors for the what you want to become. Who you are brings the peace and unexplainable joy that allows you to make the decisions on what to do. Who's you are separates and propels you to do what it is that's your purpose. Who is sustainable while what is transient and interchangeable. 

More and more I see why identity is so easily attacked and pursued...because when you know your who, the what becomes easy. I've been spending more time figuring out who I am, as I've so desired to get to what I want. These are some scriptures I've begun studying on my own as daily reminders. I hope they're encouraging to you as well friend.

In Christ, I am forgiven (Eph. 1:7).

In Christ, I am set free from condemnation and shame (Rom. 8:1).

In Christ, I am born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead (1 Peter 1:3).

In Christ, I am renewed in the spirit of my mind ( Eph. 4:21–24).

In Christ, I am rooted and grounded in love (Eph. 3:17-19).

In Christ, I am able to forgive others as I have been forgiven (Col. 3:12-14

In Christ, I am His workmanship created in Christ Jesus and prepared for good works He has planned for me (Eph. 2:10

In Christ, I am a new creation; the old me has been stripped away (2 Cor. 5:17–18).

In Christ, I am created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness (Eph. 4:24).

In Christ, I am able to live the victorious life He has provided for me (1 Cor. 15:57).

In Christ, you are redeemed, whole, loved, cherished, and made new. He has great plans according to His will for your life... know who you are and who's, so you can be what you've been called to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment