Woven by Grace: Toddler Chronicles: Don't Forget Me!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Toddler Chronicles: Don't Forget Me!

 


"Mom! Don't forget me!!" With big gorgeous brown eyes that melt my core... He says it every time he sees his brother receiving attention and I know exactly what that means. My independent, smart, and wild little boy hates to feel left out, so he's big on not excluding others. He has such a heightened sensitivity to it... it's one of the things I admire about him.

With everything in me I have to take a deep breath and pause, because he is still just a little as his brother in his eyes...and he refuses to let anyone of us miss it. Juggling two kids has been an adjustment...that's an understatement friends. It's been a HUGE adjustment. Daily I have to take it in stride with sweet baby Jesus' loving grace. 

Initially kai's phrase a sweetly painted above would get on my nerves...a lot. I'd bark back (I know, not my best moments) with "Kai it's not about you! Wait your turn!" Or try and redirect him to play alone. But Kai is persistent, a quality from his daddy haha! And the more he said it the more I realized I've got to change my perspective on this and acknowledge we are adjusting at our own pace. Honestly I'm glad he's adjusted more on the inclusion side than other less loving moments of toy snatching, shoving, you get the point - brotherly love/hazing. 

 


But more importantly deep down I'm glad he notices, because I watch his fierce character notice that for his friends too. Sometimes at school I get to watch him play just before picking him up and he is always surrounded by other kids. Always inviting someone to our house or giving a ton of hugs prior to his departure. He's already set a standard for himself, and I'm okay with raising my own bar of expectations for him. 

So Kai, don't worry you're always included...and even when you're not I know you'll create a place wherever you are so that others don't have to ask "what about me" either.

No comments:

Post a Comment