Woven by Grace: Small Business Mind: Sorry Can't Share That...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Small Business Mind: Sorry Can't Share That...

I was recently on Twitter just reading random stuff and I came across a small business owner who was complaining about the influx of inquiries about how to run a similar business like hers. In so many words she shared, "you have to keep SOME things private." At that part I agreed, then I felt a tug at my heart. I've read a lot of rants and frustrations from small business owners that really have made it BIG on this side of the industry. At some point lending a hand becomes a bit more less and less (I do understand that not everyone has the best intentions when asking questions). The more I grow in my business, the more I see the competitiveness that arises and just like anything else the "cliques" that exist. Is there anything terrible about these things? No, that's not what I'm focusing on. Just like in any setting we all gravitate to those that can relate to us and have similar interests...it's just natural.

However, in reading these different perspectives and frustrations from owners about people copying their work, had me really thinking and even some what concerned about my own work being copied by someone GASP! My first run-in with this was when I started researching how to purchase larger quantities of mugs. Naively I sent an email to a small business owner who hand paints mugs like myself and asked her... Wait for it... no response. I was shocked and a mad at first (how are you NOT going to respond..rude), because I felt like I'm not copying you I just don't want to keep running around trying to buy mugs! She never responded... 

So I figured that's kind of how it works - and I had a hard time not feeling like I would do the same just in case the shop really took off. I mean what if someone makes a Camera Mug like MINE?!? So I figured I better play it safe and keep things to myself that I find really helpful or "tricks of the trade" that I've had to trial and error to find out. It's been a lot of work these past several months, from replacing mugs because the paint did not withstand normal use to hunting for mugs and seriously praying for a consistent set of mugs to work with. Why would I want to just let someone have the easy way of starting up? I've put my heart and money into this thing.

Then I got an email today, asking what technique I used in designing my mugs. She ended it with

If you do not want to disclose your technique I understand.

and my heart sank, because she was just like me several months ago when I had no idea how to really make it work. I tossed it around in my mind and started talking to God about it, because truthfully I knew what to do. I took a look into her shop and thought to myself wow these designs are beautiful! Seriously. Even had a moment of, what if she becomes my competition? And then I got over myself. Just like that and responded. I shared with her some of the things I'm learning and encouraged her to look at different blogs I've seen regarding pricing and even asked to feature her. She really has some beautiful items.

The truth is if I focus on myself then I'm going to be really lonely in this journey. I've seen some people really make an impact with their businesses. And I've seen the same businesses everywhere and little up and comers not get the time of day... I'm not saying I'm going to be foolish and tell everyone what I do, but I am going to encourage and support those around me and point them to some great guides along the way. 

One person gave me a shot and it's made all the difference. From critiquing my blog to teaching me about sponsorship. I genuinely am grateful and know I need to pay it forward.

Today was a stretching moment for me, and not something I'm sharing just so I can say look at today's good deed - but really because I really wish that more people would be inclined to just reply back. In the process she even shared a technique I NEEDED! I would have never received that if I focused on protecting something that was not even my idea in the first place. A Blue Swallow was placed on my heart through my own quiet time and time spent with God. When we let things live their true purpose and don't hold them too tight they have the room to breathe and really thrive.

Kindness bears more worth than Wealth.


2 comments:

  1. Carmen! This is such a great blog post cause ive totally been thinking about this and growing my business and you put it in such great perspective. I love this so much! Thank you!! -josie (@thejuniescarf)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Josie!!! This just made my day :)

      Delete